Program Dates: 15 May 2023 - 1 Aug 2023
The USC Summer Scholars in Operations Management and Data Science Program aims to expose exceptional undergraduates in mathematics, computer science, and engineering to cutting-edge research in Operations Managment and Operations Research. This exclusive opportunity partners undergraduates with faculty mentors from the Data Sciences and Operations Department at USC Marshall to inspire the next generation of scholars in the field.
- Attend the SoCal Operations Research/Operations Management Conference - Gain exclusive access to this annual event (all registration and transportation fees are covered by program). Learn about cutting-edge research and network with leading researchers in a casual environment.
- Partner with a Faculty Mentor from USC Marshall's Data Science and Operations Department - Receive 1-1 mentoring on a research project or future graduate study, tailored to your interests, from some of the premier researchers in the field. Mentorship can be remote.
- Make your graduate school application stand out! Graduate programs in operations research, data science, and statistics are competiive. Participants in our mentorship program naturally stand out from the pack!
To be considered for this exceptional opportunity, applicants must:
- Be a rising senior in mathematics, computer science, statistics, industrial engineering, or another STEM field. (Exceptional rising juniors may also be considered).
- Reside in the southern California area.
- Be available to attend the SoCal Operations Research/Operations Management Conference in person on May 15th. Remaining mentorshp activities can be remote.
How to Apply (Deadline: 15 April 2023)
To apply, please email Vishal Gupta (email@example.com ) with the subject line: ``2023 USC Summer Scholars in OM and Data Science" and include following materials:
- CV or Resume
- Unofficial Transcript (copies ok)
- Brief (1-2 pages) statement explaining why you're interested in the program
- Brief letter of support from a faculty member. (If they prefer, your faculty can email their letter directly.
Ok... But what is Operations Research?Operations research (OR) and (its sister field Operations Management (OM)) is a multidisciplinary field that uses mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and optimization techniques to design, analyze and optimize complex systems and processes. The goal is to make a positive impact on society, businesses and organizations. Researchers use mathematical tools to study a wide-range of problems, from how to design sustainable supply-chains, to how to combat ideological polarization, to how to avoid unintentional discrimination in algorithmic decision-making and AI systems. Indeed, most of our faculty at USC Marshall have undergraduate degrees in other fields -- mathematics, computer science, economics, statistics -- but gravitated towards OR and OM for to work on technically challenging problems whose solution would make not only theoretical, but also tangible, real-world impact. With the rise of AI and data science, OR and OM remain an exciting career path for mathematically inclined individuals to apply their skills to make a meaningful impact on society.
Email: Vishal Gupta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Don't miss out! Apply before 15 April 2023!